Monday, May 3, 2010

Madame Carl (Mrs. K. Carl)

Submitted by Cindy of North Branch

School North Branch High School

I have 3 children, my oldest graduated from North Branch High School last year. With that in mind, I feel that my experience with educators in our school district has been long and for the most part enjoyable. Although, one teacher stands out far above the rest to me because of the respect, excitement, interest, encouragement and enthusiasm she brings to the classroom.
You have to understand why I say this because most teachers don’t seem to be happy these days, truly happy!
When my 2nd child was in 9th grade he mentioned many times how much he liked Madame Carl his French teacher. This was the beginning of his French classes. He loved going to class. “She’s so cool, she’s awesome” Jake said. In her classes she implemented French food day, and my son wanted to learn how to make crepes. This was not typical; my son never wanted to cook or learn to cook. After French I A, French I B, French II A, French II B, he is now in his last trimester of his sophomore year and does not have her French class but was still happy to have her as his English teacher for the required credit. “That’s okay; I still have a class with her”. You don’t hear this too often about a teacher these days.

During last fall’s parent teacher conferences, I just had to meet her. This was my first meeting in the high school. I didn’t know many teachers, due to my job in the prior years and scheduling conferences. While I waited my turn, I observed all the teachers in the conference room (aka lunch room) while they met with parents. One stood out the most! She was energetic and enthused to see each parent that sat down to talk to her. She was positive and encouraging, informative, and thankful that parents attended. After sitting there for a while I put it all together, it was her, Madame Carl! I thought “my kid was right, she is awesome”. Now my turn was up and our introduction was, well lets just say GREAT. I felt like I knew her for years and at this point she didn’t even know who’s mom I was. She put it together when I said my last name. She had awesome comments about both my sons. She said “I just love Jake. I would take him home to be mine”. Wow, I thought, a teacher that loves teenagers! She thanked me for doing a great job! Had many more positive things to say and just truly seemed HAPPY.

Later that night; during family conversation, including my oldest, he even replied how much he likes Madame Carl. “Everyone loves her, he said”. My question was why? Both my son’s told me “she’s fun, she doesn’t talk down to us”. I said, she talks to you with respect? They both replied “yeah, most teachers don’t”. Our conversation continued about how “awesome” she was and I found out that even while she was teaching my kids at the high school these past 5 years, she was dealing with her own child’s undiagnosed illness. Just this last summer, Doctors diagnosed her son with autism.

Even when she had things to deal with, she brought so much to her classroom and continues too.

I don’t know if she shares the faith in our Lord and Savior, but I would guess she does. You know the quote? What’s in your heart shows all over you! It shows all over her!

No comments:

Post a Comment