Monday, May 3, 2010

Mrs. Vicki Bocek

Submitted by Karen of Midland

School Durand High School

Mrs. Bocek is a special education teacher. I had the privilege of being in her class when she taught at Merrill High School. I had moved it to the district when I was in 8th grade (1978-79 school year.) I am dyslexic. After being in Merrill for one semester they put me in her class. I was held back that year. The next year I wasn't put in her class. I don't remember why. But the following year is when this teacher made the biggest inpact on me. I started dating that year. I began to be ashamed that I was put in her class.. even though she was a great teacher. It was what others might think cause I was in her class. She notice that I was acting different she pulled me aside and asked a few questions.. on being was having problems with being in her class. I shared how I felt. She told me that if those friends couldn't except me for who I was. Then they weren't much of a friend. Those words I still hear today. I stayed in her class until I graduated in 1984. In other years before I graduated, I was having issues at home. She was always willing to listen and let me cry on her sholder, if I needed to. One year I was a teachers aid for her. During this year I learned alot about myself. She always gave me incourgement. She would tell me that she knew if I put my mind to it I would over come my disablities. Never did she ever tell anyone they couldn't do something do to their disabilites. Due to her encougement to many, one of my classmates is know a Minister. I went on to take some college, but never finish..not because I don't think I couldn't do it.. but because of family. I chose to have a family instead of forfilling my dream of helping out in a special education area. I fell that someday I will go back to school and do this.. but it would be because of what Mrs. Bocek has given to her students.
I relieze that this isn't a current teach/student relationship, but I feel that it is a good example of a teacher that goes unreconigize for her relationships she builds with her student. She is no longer at Merrill school, she is teaching closer to her family in Durand. But to this day, I still keep in contact with her, I feel that she has been a big part of my life in the 5 years I had her as a teacher. I want to keep her as part of my life not that I am no longer her student.

I would just like to say to her, Thank you for all the things that you have done that has gone unnoticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment